2003年1月5日星期日

Cast Away/荒岛余生

This is a must-watch movie for every man: how to go with one's life, career and love. This is more than a movie about how a man survived for years in an isolated island; this is about a man keeps his dignity, ration and manner after being tortured by his own life.

Two scenes are metaphoric: one is when the volleyball "leaves" Noland on the sea, which means his former love leaves him. The second is the conversation in Kelly's home in the raining night when Noland came back, what they talk is some football team almost got the championship, but actually they are talking they almost got married. So sad to hear the conversation.

Noland is the true man when he tells Kelly to go home in the car calmly. This line must be one of the most heart-breaking lines in the movie history.








Quotes:
Chuck Noland: We both had done the math. Kelly added it all up and... knew she had to let me go. I added it up, and knew that I had... lost her. 'cos I was never gonna get off that island. I was gonna die there, totally alone. I was gonna get sick, or get injured or something. The only choice I had, the only thing I could control was when, and how, and where it was going to happen. So... I made a rope and I went up to the summit, to hang myself. I had to test it, you know? Of course. You know me. And the weight of the log, snapped the limb of the tree, so I-I - , I couldn't even kill myself the way I wanted to. I had power over *nothing*. And that's when this feeling came over me like a warm blanket. I knew, somehow, that I had to stay alive. Somehow. I had to keep breathing. Even though there was no reason to hope. And all my logic said that I would never see this place again. So that's what I did. I stayed alive. I kept breathing. And one day my logic was proven all wrong because the tide came in, and gave me a sail. And now, here I am. I'm back. In Memphis, talking to you. I have ice in my glass... And I've lost her all over again. I'm so sad that I don't have Kelly. But I'm so grateful that she was with me on that island. And I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?

Chuck Noland: I'm sorry, Wilson. Wilson, I'm sorry! I'm sorry!

Chuck Noland: We live and we die by time, and we must not commit the sin of turning our back on time.


Bettina Peterson: You look lost.
Chuck Noland: I do?
Bettina Peterson: Where're you headed?
Chuck Noland: Well, I was just about to figure that out.
Bettina Peterson: Well, that's 83 South. And this road here will hook you up with I-40 East. If you turn right, that'll take you to Amarillo, Flagstaff, California. And if you head back that direction, you'll find a whole lot of nothing all the way to Canada.
Chuck Noland: I got it.
Bettina Peterson: All right, then. Good luck, cowboy.
Chuck Noland: Thank you.

Performance impression:
Director: Robert Zemeckis
Stars: Tom Hanks, Helen Hunt

 Cast Away
(2000) on IMDb

没有评论:

发表评论