2003年1月10日星期五

Full Metal Jacket/全金属外壳

This is an iconic movie and be referred to by many movies later, such as "Hacksaw Ridge". It a great picture on how humanity could be destroyed by wars.

The story starts from the recruiting camp, which is also the start of the depriving of their humanity. The big clumsy guy is a symbol of how he is driven to mad gradually and finally decides to kill the officer and himself. The second half, when they fight against the communist army in Vietnam, is the deterioration of their humanity. Joker the journalist who wears a peace symbol in interviews decides to kill a Vietnam girl soldier at the end himself.

There are no good or bad guys in the movie. Maybe everyone is good or ordinary before the war, however, they are all changed, ruined or destroyed by the war. All that is left in the soldiers' mind is just war, or some sex. This happens for Vietnamese, including the young girl soldier.

The best war movies do not show off the "great visual effect" of wars, but to disclose the cruelness and destruction of the wars to humanity. For this point, Stanley Kubrick did succeed and made this movie a greatest one.






Quotes:
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be "Sir". Do you maggots understand that?
Recruits: [In unison in a normal speaking tone] Sir, yes Sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Bullshit I can't hear you. Sound off like you got a pair!
Recruits: [In unison, much louder] SIR, YES SIR!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon. You will be a minister of death praying for war. But until that day you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human fucking beings. You are nothing but unorganized grabastic pieces of amphibian shit! Because I am hard, you will not like me. But the more you hate me, the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair. There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless. And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps. Do you maggots understand that?

Recruits: [chanting] This is my rifle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

Performance impression:
Director: Stanley Kubrick
Stars: Matthew Modine, R. Lee Ermey, Vincent D'Onofrio

Full Metal Jacket (1987) on IMDb

没有评论:

发表评论