2007年9月9日星期日

Sense and Sensibility/理智与情感

This must be one of the best love story movies ever. Although it is more than two hours long, it keeps exciting because of Ang Lee the director's excellent control of the whole rhythm.

Both are hard but sweet love stories, and everything of the movie is perfect. The love is under many social rules and regulations and sometimes it seemed the love is oppressed. Elinor the elder sister is the icon of sensibility and Marianne the younger one is for the sense, yet, pure sense or pure sensibility can not make a good love story; only a balance of both can make a good one.

Doubtlessly to say it is very wise to choose Ang Lee as the director. At first I did not understand either, but after watching this movie I knew why: the situation in the era of Sense and Sensibility is so much like the era in current China or not long ago; love is limited in many social codes.








Trailer:


Quotes:
Edward Ferrars: I-I've come here with no expectations, only to profess, now that I am at liberty to do so, that my heart is, and always will be, yours.

Marianne: Always resignation and acceptance. Always prudence and honour and duty. Elinor, where is your heart?
Elinor Dashwood: What do you know of my heart? What do you know of anything but your own suffering. For weeks, Marianne, I've had this pressing on me without being at liberty to speak of it to a single creature. It was forced on me by the very person whose prior claims ruined all my hope. I have endured her exultations again and again whilst knowing myself to be divided from Edward forever. Believe me, Marianne, had I not been bound to silence I could have provided proof enough of a broken heart, even for you.

Performance impression:
Director: Ang Lee
Stars:Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson, Gemma Jones, Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman, Elizabeth Spriggs, Imelda Staunton, Hugh Laurie

 Sense and Sensibility
(1995) on IMDb

没有评论:

发表评论